Understand Your Crown Chakra (Sahasrara): The Ultimate Guide
The crown chakra is situated at the top of the head. It is said to be connected to the divine consciousness, and it represents spiritual enlightenment. This chakra is frequently linked to transcendence, unification, and pure consciousness. In this guide, we will cover everything you need to know about the crown chakra’s characteristics, signs and symptoms of crown chakra imbalances, and how to tackle them. Join us on this adventure as we explore the crown chakra in further detail and learn how it can improve your general well-being.
Crown Chakra Key Characteristics
Sanskrit name: Sahasrara (root, foundation)
Function: Spiritual enlightenment, connection to the divine, transcendence
Emotions: Bliss, understanding, spiritual connection
Shadow emotion: Lack of connection
Location: Top of the head
Organs: The pituitary gland, the hypothalamus, the nervous system, and the endocrine system
Sense: Transcendence, universal consciousness, and spiritual connection
Color: Violet and white
Beej Mantra: Om/Ah
Mudra: Thousand-petalled mudra
Yantra: Thousand-petalled lotus
Solfeggio Frequency: 963 Hz
Crystal: Clear Quartz, Amethyst, Selenite, Moonstone, Diamond
Affirmation: “I am connected to the divine”
Spirit Animal: White tiger
What is the Crown Chakra?
The crown chakra is the seventh chakra in the human body, commonly referred to as Sahasrara. As the highest energy center, it is situated at the crown of the head and is connected to divine and spiritual enlightenment.
The crown chakra, also regarded as the chakra of pure consciousness, is linked to the element of thought. As such, it is associated with the brain, the nervous system, and the pituitary glands in the body. In many ways, it is the wellspring of spiritual energy and can support people in connecting with their inner knowledge and intuition.
When in harmony, the crown chakra can open one’s mind to create a sensation of wholeness, transcendence, and pure consciousness, which ultimately lead one to experience inner calm, spiritual fulfillment, and a clearer knowledge of their life’s purpose. As a result, it is thought to be crucial for human wellbeing in general.
Meaning of The Crown Chakra Yantra – The Thousand-Petalled Lotus
Yantras, which are utilized in meditation and other spiritual practices, are geometric representations of the seven chakras. They are considered strong, energetic conduits that can aid in balancing and opening the appropriate chakra. Each yantra has a distinct layout and symbolism matched to the particular qualities and energies of the chakra it symbolizes.
The “thousand-petaled lotus,” or Sri Yantra, is the yantra for the crown chakra. It is a sophisticated geometric shape representing the bond between the divine and the human. The Bindu, the center of the Sri Yantra, stands for the supreme reality or consciousness, and it is surrounded by interlocking triangles. The triangles stand for the various facets of the cosmos and the various levels of consciousness. The thousand petals of the lotus symbolize the link of the crown chakra to the infinite and the divine, as well as the full bloom of enlightenment and spiritual realization.
Crown Chakra Functioning
The main functions of the crown chakra are:
- Transcendence: Widely regarded as the gateway to spirituality, the crown chakra enables people to access their inner knowledge and intuition. It enables one to see past the material world and uncover a connection to the divine and higher consciousness. In this way, one can develop fresh perspectives on the universe and the outside world, bringing about a sense of inner tranquility and a clearer understanding of one’s life’s purpose.
- Bliss: The crown chakra is related to a sense of inner calm and spiritual fulfillment, which can result in a feeling of bliss. The sensations of wholeness, transcendence, and blissfulness result from a balanced and open crown chakra.
- Enlightenment: Enlightenment is the crown chakra’s ultimate purpose. It is when a person recognizes the oneness of all things and the ultimate truth, leading to profound insight and clarity about the nature of reality.
Third Eye Chakra Imbalances
Imbalances of the crown chakra, including a blocked or overactive crown chakra, can be caused by various factors, including trauma, emotional or chronic stress, repressed emotions, overthinking, and negative beliefs.
An underactive crown chakra is associated with feelings of spiritual detachment, ambiguity, and a lack of life direction. On the other hand, an overactive crown chakra might make one feel confused, alienated from reality, and overly reliant on spirituality.
Emotional Symptoms of a Crown Chakra Imbalance
- Feeling disconnected from the spiritual realm or inner self
- Confusion and lack of direction in life
- Depression and a sense of emptiness
- Disconnection from reality
- Difficulty understanding and accepting the world
- Lack of self-awareness and inner wisdom
- Over-reliance on external validation
- Lack of trust in oneself
Physical Symptoms of a Crown Chakra Imbalance
- Headaches and migraines
- Insomnia or difficulty sleeping
- Nervous system disorders
- Cognitive disorders such as memory loss or confusion
- Brain tumors or neurological disorders
- Depression and a sense of emptiness
- Sensitivity to light and sound
Techniques for Crown Chakra Healing
Crown chakra healing is crucial because it can aid in balancing and opening the chakra, through which one can experience inner calm, spiritual fulfillment, and a clearer knowledge of their life’s purpose. This can result in a greater sense of spiritual fulfillment and a closer relationship with God, both of which can improve one’s general well-being. For people who are on a spiritual path and aiming for enlightenment, crown chakra treatment is equally crucial.
To use meditation for healing the crown chakra, sit comfortably, keep your spine straight, and concentrate your attention on your breathing. Imagine a purple or white light entering your crown chakra as you breathe in, and visualize this light expanding and filling your entire body. Feel the light bringing positive energy that engulfs one in the sense of peace and fulfillment. As you exhale, visualize any bad energy exiting your body.
In the meditation practice of traktaka, one keeps their eyes open while concentrating on a single object, such as a candle flame. Traktaka is also sometimes used to balance the crown chakra.
Yoga is a great tool for balancing the crown chakra, as it helps to promote a state of inner peace by relaxing the body and mind. Several types of yoga practices are known for this type of chakra healing, including:
- Kundalini Yoga: The kundalini energy, which is thought to reside at the base of the spine in the root chakra, is a form of divine feminine energy. Kundalini yoga helps to activate and balance the crown chakra through a combination of breath practice, mantras, and physical postures.
- Hatha Yoga: Hatha Yoga is a traditional kind of yoga that emphasizes breathing exercises, physical postures, and meditation. For balancing the crown chakra, yoga poses like the headstand, shoulder stand, corpse pose, and fish pose can be particularly helpful.
- Yoga Nidra: Nidra is a technique for deep relaxation that can aid the head chakra to be in balance, which can help to release tension and stress in the body, helping to balance the Sahasrara chakra.
Pranayama is the practice of controlling one’s breath, and it can be practiced on its own or in combination with meditation or yoga asanas. Increasing the body’s prana or life force energy, it can aid in chakra balancing. For balancing the crown chakra, one can use a variety of pranayama methods, such as:
- ‘Brahmari‘ or ‘Bee breath’ which involves humming as you exhale. It is thought to support a sense of inner calm and spiritual fulfillment, which is considered to help balance the crown chakra.
- ‘Nadi Shodhan,’ also known as alternate nostril breathing, involves blocking one nostril while exhaling through the other. It aids in releasing the stress and tension that may be blocking the crown chakra.
- ‘Sitkari,’ or hissing breath, is breathing through the teeth while positioning the tongue behind the upper teeth and expelling through the nose. It is thought to support a sense of inner peace.
Positive affirmations are phrases that are repeated to rewire one’s ideas and beliefs from the negative to the positive. They are used to assist people in concentrating on their objectives and bringing about positive change in their life. Using positive affirmations is a great strategy for chakra healing, as they help to promote an overall sense of inner peace and clear away negative energy.
Here are 10 example affirmations for crown chakra healing:
- “I am connected to the divine
- “I am open to spiritual wisdom and guidance”
- “I trust in the universe and in myself”
- “I am one with the universe”
- “I am in touch with my true self”
- “I am at peace with the world”
- “I am in alignment with my spiritual purpose”
- “I am open to receiving spiritual guidance”
- “I am in touch with my inner wisdom”
- “I am in harmony with the universe”
The best way to utilize affirmations for crown chakra healing is to pick a couple that speak to you and repeat them to yourself every day, ideally before bed and in the morning. With conviction, feel the words as you repeat them, and picture yourself carrying them out. It might also be beneficial to put them in writing and keep them visible, such as on a sticky note on your bathroom mirror or in your diary. It may take some time to detect changes in attitudes and behaviors, but keep in mind that consistency is essential to seeing improvements.
Essential oils are an alternative way to balance the crown chakra, some of the best ones include:
- Frankincense: grounding and centering properties
- Sandalwood: promotes spiritual awareness
- Lotus: used to promote spiritual awakening
- Rose: also used in heart chakra balancing
- Jasmine: calming and relaxing properties
- Myrrh: promotes spiritual awareness
It is preferable to use essential oils in aromatherapy for crown chakra healing or to combine them with a carrier oil and apply them topically to the crown of the head. Additionally, it’s crucial to utilize pure, high-quality essential oils and to do a patch test before use to check for allergic reactions.
Crystals and Stones
Crystals that help to balance the crown chakra and their properties are:
- Clear Quartz: amplifies energy
- Amethyst: has calming and grounding properties
- Selenite: known for its ability to cleanse and purify the aura
- Moonstone: promotes intuition and spiritual awareness
- Sapphire: promotes spiritual awareness
- Diamond: amplifies energy
To use them for chakra healing, bring them with you in your pocket, or you can lay them on your head during meditation. Afterward, always remember to cleanse and charge crystals before utilizing them for crown chakra healing. You can accomplish this by burying them in the ground, leaving them in the sunlight or moonlight, or sprinkling them with sage.
When choosing crystals for healing, it’s crucial to pay attention to your intuition and choose gems that speak to you. Additionally, it’s crucial to remember that crystals complement other therapeutic therapies and are best used along with other practices like meditation, yoga, and positive affirmations.
963 Hz Solfeggio Frequency
The 963 Hz Solfeggio frequency is related to the crown chakra. It is said to be especially useful for releasing negative attitudes and beliefs, enhancing self-awareness and inner wisdom, and fostering unification and transcendence. It is thought that this frequency has the ability to stimulate the pituitary gland and aid in the process of achieving spiritual enlightenment.
Crown Chakra Mudras
The mudra for the crown chakra is the thousand-petalled mudra. To perform it, simply put your thumbs and index fingers together while spreading your hands and fingers out as widely as possible. For 15 to 20 minutes, maintain this mudra.
What happens when your crown chakra opens?
When the crown chakra is open, it can bring about a range of physical, emotional, and spiritual changes, including a sense of spiritual connection and heightened awareness, increased intuition and inner wisdom, a sense of inner peace and tranquility, increased creativity and inspiration, and ultimately – a sense of unity and transcendence.
How do you know if your crown chakra is active?
A sense of spiritual connection, enhanced inner intelligence and intuition, inner peace and tranquility, more creativity and inspiration, and a clearer grasp of the nature of reality indicates that the crown chakra may be active.
Why is my crown chakra overactive?
Overanalyzing, having a spiritual fixation, experiencing traumatic events, or excessive drug use can all lead to an overactive crown chakra.
Which chakra is associated with overthinking?
Overthinking, excessive dependence on intellect, and a fixation with spiritual topics might result from a hyperactive crown chakra. As our connection to the divine, the world, and our inner wisdom is the fundamental function of the crown chakra, its overactivity can result in an obsessive attention to spiritual issues and a propensity to overanalyze and intellectualize experiences.
What happens when all chakras are aligned?
The body, mind, and spirit are in balance when all the chakras are in alignment. This can result in stronger energy levels, a greater ability to materialize one’s desires, an improvement in physical, emotional, and mental well-being, and attaining enlightenment. A sense of inner calm and peace, increased self-awareness, and a clearer understanding of one’s purpose will also be attained.