The throat chakra is related to self-expression, creativity, and communication. We can communicate plainly and honestly when this chakra is open and balanced. We’ll look at nine throat chakra crystals that can support chakra balance and correct functioning.
Featured image credit: Ivan Radic
Understanding the Throat (Vishuddha) Chakra
The fifth chakra in the body is the throat chakra, also known as the Vishuddha chakra in Sanskrit. As the name suggests, it is situated in the throat area and its fundamental function is linked to communication, self-expression, and creativity. It is considered to be the gateway to higher consciousness and spiritual growth.
When balanced, the throat chakra enables one to communicate their thoughts and feelings in a direct, honest, and genuine way. It promotes clarity, calmness, creativity, and confidence in expressing ideas whilst also fostering intuition and spiritual awareness by creating a bond between one’s higher self and their inner voice.
Throat Chakra Imbalances
When the throat chakra is out of alignment, it can manifest as different symptoms. For example:
- Physical symptoms may include a sore throat, neck pain, stiffness, hearing problems, problems with the vocal cords, and thyroid issues
- Emotional problems could include fear of speaking up, social anxiety, difficulty expressing emotions, insensitivity, dishonesty, and lack of creativity
How Can Crystals Help Balance the Throat Chakra?
The vibrational energy of healing crystals can connect with the vibrational frequencies of the throat chakra and facilitate its long-term health by clearing blockages and restoring a healthy chakra balance in the body.
The color blue is associated with the throat chakra and is frequently used as a symbol of trust, calmness, courage, wisdom, and empathy. As such, the high vibrations of blue stones, in particular, are great for clearing the blocked throat chakra, facilitating the expression of the very emotions and traits that the color symbolizes.
9 of the Best Throat Chakra Crystals
Whilst many crystals can be used for throat chakra healing, we have hand-picked some of the best to share with you. The best throat chakra stones are aquamarine, clear quartz, lapis lazuli, amazonite, sodalite, blue lace agate, blue apatite, blue kyanite, and blue calcite. Here are their benefits for the throat chakra:
- Calmness and tranquility: Channels a calming and soothing energy that can reduce stress and anxiety, promoting a greater sense of peace and well-being
- Enhanced communication: Known as the stone of courage, aquamarine has a guiding force that encourages people to speak their truth, gain better insight, express themselves honestly, and interact with others
- Creativity: Facilities creative forms of self-expression
2. Clear Quartz
- Clarity and focus: Assists the mind in becoming more focused and clear, encouraging increased mental clarity and lowering tension and anxiety
- Immune system enhancement: Enhances the immune system’s capacity to fend against disease and illness
- Physical and emotional healing: Has a relaxing and soothing impact on both the physical and emotional body, assisting in the reduction of pain and encouraging the healing process of both
- Amplified energy: Amplifyies the energy of other crystals and stones
- Cleansing and purifying: Clears negative energy and promotes a sense of balance and well-being
3. Lapis Lazuli
- Self-awareness: Encourages introspection, helping one to understand their inner self better
- Honesty: Helps one to speak the truth and express themselves authentically
- Relieving stress and anxiety: Promotes a greater sense of peace and well-being
- Spiritual awareness: Helps to connect more deeply with your inner voice and higher self
Credit: Cobalt 123
- Healing: A powerful healer, clearing and purifying the body and mind, lessening stress and worries can be lessened, and bringing emotions back into balance
- Communication: Opens the lines of expression and communication, lowering one’s fear of speaking up and enabling them to state their truth with clarity and confidence
- Harmony: Promotes both physical and mental harmony
- Clarity: Clears the mind of confusion and mental haze to help one see things more clearly and make better decisions
- Intuition: Guides connection with one’s inner wisdom and guidance. Facilitates opening of the third eye chakra, enabling one to perceive the wider picture
- Communication: Regarded as a stone of conversation, encourages clarity and confidence when speaking
- Confidence: Encourages the rational processing of thoughts that enable confident decision-making
Credit: James St. John
6. Blue Lace Agate
- Peace: A calming and soothing stone that can aid with stress and anxiety relief, as well as lower rage and irritation while encouraging emotional harmony and inner calm
- Clarity: Brings mental and emotional clarity by removing mental clutter, enabling concentrated thoughts and emotional comprehension
- Communication: Support verbal and nonverbal communication by lowering speaking anxiety and allowing one to talk honestly and confidently
- Protection: Shields against negative energies and influences
Credit: Stephanie Gough
7. Blue Apatite
- Energy: Refreshes the body and mind to deliver more vigor during the day
- Relaxation: Has a calming impact on the body and mind that aids in lowering tension and anxiety
- Support: Brings insight into challenging circumstances and facilitates the discussion of challenging subjects
Credit: Orbital Joe
8. Blue Kyanite
- Increased intuition: Increases one’s psychic gifts and intuitive talents
- Manifestation: Aids the manifestation of objectives and wishes into reality
- Tension reduction: Reduces stress and anxiety while promoting a sense of calm and relaxation
- Connection with nature: Renowned for fostering a sense of rootedness and connection to the Earth and the natural world
Credit: James St. John
9. Blue Calcite
- Stress reduction: Eases stress, worry, and fear while promoting a calm and peaceful inner state
- Mental clarity: Excellent stone for learning and studying due to its ability to enhance mental clarity, focus, and memory
- Emotional healing: Assists emotional healing by bringing clarity and insight
- Positivity: Promotes a cheerful and optimistic outlook, as well as a positive attitude
- Cleansing and Clearing: Clears and purifies energies
Credit: Robert M. Lavinsky
Other Throat Chakra Crystals Worth Considering
In addition to the stones above, there are a number of other healing stones that can be beneficial for the throat chakra. We have chosen not to cover these in detail, but if you don’t feel connected with the above stones, it is also worth considering those additional ones as an option. Some notable mentions and their benefits include:
- Celestite: calming, spiritual growth, intuition
- Azurite: insight, intuition, emotional Balance
- Larimar: stress relief, balance, healing
- Chrysocolla: communication, inner strength, harmony
- Blue Chalcedony: tranquility, reduced negativity, clarity
- Angelite: protection, peace, spiritual guidance
- Selenite: clarity, healing, purification
- Amethyst: protection, stress relief, spiritual connection
- Turquoise: protection, communication, purification
What Crsytals to Avoid for the Throat Chakra?
Stones like Jasper, Tiger’s Eye, Hematite, and Pyrite should be avoided while working to balance the throat chakra. These stones should be avoided because they may stimulate the throat chakra excessively, which could result in overstimulation and stress-related sensations. These stones also have the capacity to obstruct communication and expression, all of which are necessary for a balanced and healthy throat chakra.
How to Use Your Throat Chakra Crystals?
You can incorporate crystals into throat chakra healing by wearing them as jewelry, placing them around the house, carrying them in your pocket, holding them in your hand, or placing them on the throat while meditating.
If using stones during meditation, it’s critical to focus on the energy of the stone and your intention for using it. Next, visualize the stone’s energy entering the throat chakra and allow it to clean and balance its energy. Concentrate on your breath to allow the stones’ energy to pass through and enter the throat chakra.
Finally, remember to take the time to express gratitude to the stones for their contribution to your healing journey.
Other Ways to Balance the Throat Chakra
Some other techniques for throat chakra healing and balancing include:
- Meditation: As briefly mentioned before, visualization meditation can be one of the best ways to bring balance back into the throat chakra
- Singing and Chanting: Using the beej mantra ‘ham’ during meditation,n is a great way to target the throat chakra
- Solfeggio frequencies: 741 Hz is a powerful tool for opening the throat chakra
- Writing: Expressing your thoughts and emotions through writing can assist in clearing any blockages in the throat chakra
- Aromatherapy: Lavender, peppermint, frankincense, and lemon essential oils can assist in opening and balancing the throat chakra
- Yoga: Yoga postures like neck stretches and shoulder openers can open and balance the throat chakra
- Affirmations: Affirmations for the throat chakra can help you re-connect with and balance this chakra
What blocks the throat chakra?
An unbalanced throat chakra can be caused by emotional and physical trauma, fear, guilt, and shame. It can also be blocked by negative thinking and speaking, as well as by suppressing emotions and not speaking up for oneself.
How do you unblock your throat chakra?
It is crucial to take the time to pinpoint any emotional or physical trauma that may be causing the blockage of the throat chakra. Once the trauma has been located, give yourself time to process it and let it go. Additionally, it’s critical to speak and think positively, communicate one’s emotions, and advocate for oneself. Engaging in stress-relieving activities like yoga and meditation can also help to open the throat chakra.
What emotion is associated with the throat chakra?
The throat chakra is associated with emotions like confidence, openness, truthfulness, and fulfillment. When the throat chakra is balanced, one feels clear, self-assured, and creatively inspired. Ultimately, these emotions lead to better communication and feeling better in general.
What organ is associated with the throat chakra?
The thyroid gland, which produces hormones that control the body’s metabolism and energy levels, is connected to the throat chakra. It is believed that a blocked throat chakra can result in thyroid abnormalities, including the over- or underproduction of certain hormones.
What foods are good for the throat chakra?
Blue foods, such as blueberries, plums, aubergines, and grapes, are great for supporting throat chakra balance. In addition, as the throat chakra is closely linked to the brain and communication, foods that support good cognition, such as nuts and seeds, broccoli, carrots, lemons, and celery can also be beneficial.